Visiting Lusaka, Zambia, for some professional development. Flight times meant that I arrived a day before the course began... had to make the most of the time and decided to make it into another microadventure!
Wednesday 6 December 2017
11:55pm - left home and headed to the airport in Dar
Thursday 7 December 2017
03:45 First flight - Dar to Nairobi (Kenya), arrived Nairobi just after 5am
07:40 Second flight - Nairobi to Lusaka (Zambia), arrived Lusaka at about 9:30am
Turns out it is a VERY small world... on the second flight I see a teacher I met a few years ago at the 21CL conference in Hong Kong - just so happens he has just moved to Kenya and is attending the same PD course as me.
Sailed through Zambian customs, and was met by a driver to shuttle us to the designated hotel.
Another passenger on the shuttle was a man who has been working in Zambia for three years with the Ministry of Education - he told us some fascinating stories and facts on the way into town. I was checked in and was unpacking by 11:30am.
I had already asked a teacher who lives in Zambia for some recommendations... she had given me a few suggestions and the number of a driver, Peter, that teachers regularly use. I had booked him for 12 noon... great timing!
He was punctual and picked me up at 12 noon on the dot. Then the real adventure began! This is what I absolutely LOVE about travelling - diving head first into the culture with a local. So important. I learnt sooooo much about Lusaka and Zambia in the afternoon I spent with him today.
So...
Peter drove me 20km (about 45 minutes) out of central Lusaka. Very different feel and landscape to Tanzania. A lot less people, and even more green, if that's possible! Along the way I was just drinking it all in... the different sights and sounds. Not to mention the significant drop in temperature (compared to Dar). A lovely 'cool' 24 degrees. Windows of the car were down, arms out the window, and the breeze was divine. We chatted along the way, me trying to find out as much as I could about this place in the short time I have here. I asked about Zambia's exports - Peter explained that copper is big here, and he's grateful it's not oil or gold. He does not want war. He knows other African countries are not so lucky.
I spotted a cemetery. Then realised that there was a massive funeral in full swing. Hundreds of people gathered to say farewell in an enormous roadside cemetery was an incredible sight.
Peter told me about the local morgue.
Still. Quiet.
His father told him that he would be different after a visit to that place. He says that is true.
He talked of dark, cold tunnels. Copious dead bodies.
He was searching for his niece. He found her.
He said that lots of people die here. Too many.
Peter drove me to the Sugarbush Farm and Cafe.
First, a leisurely wander around the farm shop that sells local and African upmarket handicrafts.
A couple of small purchases for me. A cushion cover and a small blue leather key ring in the shape of Africa.
If I lived here I would have bought MUCH more. Like the lovely lamp bases decorated with copper. Immediate connection to the conversation I'd just had with Peter in the car.
Lunch.
Outdoors.
Flowers.
Green.
Horses!
Cooler than Dar.
Listening to Christmas toons.
Breathing.
Latte.
Me time.
Listening to Christmas toons.
Breathing.
Latte.
Me time.
Started heading back to Lusaka at about 3pm.
More great conversation with Peter. Really interesting guy.
More great conversation with Peter. Really interesting guy.
Turns out he is a musician who has produced two albums! He says his music is a fusion of r 'n' b, rap, and Zambian beats. He sings/raps in both Bemba and English. He played me one of his CDs, explaining the meaning behind some of the tracks. Range of subjects... mostly related to Zambia, its people, and their customs. Some serious tracks too. Fascinating stuff.
He told me that he didn't finish school, because other things happened. He talked about wanting a better life for his kids... he is trying hard to keep them in school. A couple of his music videos feature the compound he lives on.
Peter told me he learnt all his English from 'mzungu' (white foreigners). He's hoping to save enough money ($2,000 USD) to pay a promoter who will help to get his music 'out there'. His passion for music was evident. He explained that when he was younger his two passions were music and football. He didn't spend enough time on football to be good enough to play professionally. He said that "music is my whole world". Incredible to hear him talk about his journey and dreams after just knowing him for such a short amount of time.
So... when he took me back to the hotel, I gave him a bit more than the agreed upon money... and asked him to drop a copy of his CD to my hotel, if he could, before I was going to leave Lusaka. At this point I was well aware that there was a good chance that I might never see that CD...
But no, my faith in humanity was restored! Two days later he texted me to say that he had just left it at reception for me. He was one VERY cool dude.
A REALLY good day.
Africa is going to be hard to leave.
I would never have imagined I would write that so soon.
It gets under your skin.... and it's stealing a piece of my heart...
I could end up staying on this continent longer than I thought.
Africa is going to be hard to leave.
I would never have imagined I would write that so soon.
It gets under your skin.... and it's stealing a piece of my heart...
I could end up staying on this continent longer than I thought.












Having been to Africa I can visualise much of what you experience, though I know every country is different. Brings back so ay memories. Good to hear Africa is having such an impact on you. Soak it all up while you can.
ReplyDelete