A microadventure is an adventure that is short, simple, local, cheap – yet still fun, exciting, challenging, refreshing and rewarding.So today I decided to have one! Here's what happened...
9am
Dropped off my son at his friend's home for the day. Scheduled pick-up was 2pm. So no guilt about me having some fun of my own!Stop 1 - Vipaji Art Gallery
Conveniently right next door to where I'd just dropped my son. I remembered a colleague mentioning this place to me so I decided to take a look. Walked around the back and found their nice outdoor coffee shop area, called Makuti.I asked about the Art Gallery opening times - they said it was open so I went back to the front. It wasn't! Headed back to Makuti and ordered a latte. I came prepared - I had brought a book with me to read (The Last Maasai). I sat and read for about half an hour, then headed back to the front when the waitress told me the gallery was open.
Lovely little gallery, full of paintings and sculptures by local artists. I started talking to the man in charge, Yusuph. He explained to me that some of the artists originate from the south of Tanzania, a place called Mtwara. He talked about some of the artists, namely Chilonga, Kambi, Evarist Chikawe, and Ludovick. There were also some works by the apparently 'upcoming' artist Mika. There were definitely a few works I could have purchased and lived with!
One, in particular, I could have just stared at for a very long time... thankfully they didn't accept credit cards! But I will be going back.
What I loved was just having TIME to appreciate art. I could have stayed there for hours. Maybe next time I will! I did buy an interesting book they had there:
Stop 2 - Side of the road
We've lived in Dar for over 8 months now. The weather is starting to cool. I love sitting and eating outdoors... so I decided it was time to buy some furniture for our balcony. All I really wanted was a couple of chairs and a table. A colleague recommended a roadside place (there are many roadside 'stores' here!), so I headed in that direction. Pulled over, hopped out and within 5 minutes I'd made a deal with the owner! I managed to haggle a little bit, with a smile of course, and realised he wouldn't go down by much. We agreed on a price and he asked me to return in an hour as the table I wanted wasn't actually there. I paid a tiny deposit and off I went.Stop 3 - Slipway
Touted as a 'shopping centre'... it's a small quaint array of shops, mainly for expats and tourists... an English-language bookshop, a LOVELY shop called The Green Room, a 'souk' (marketplace/bazaar) and more. A couple of reasons why I added this to my microadventure itinerary...- need to start thinking about gifts to take back to UK in June
- I like the Waterfront restaurant there.
Saw some great ideas for gifts - I'll look in other places and come back another day if I need to...
Then I headed to the Waterfront. I ordered a soda water and a 'Lonely Planet for One'. YUM.
Lovely, slow lunch. No rushing required. As I was finishing the sky grew darker and I knew it was time to leave. The heavens opened as I approached my car... and thankfully I didn't get too wet!
Stop 4 - back to the side of the road
Picked up the two chairs and table. Paid the guy. In the POURING rain. Now I was drenched.Decision - it was now about 1pm. I could go home, drop off the furniture, then head back in the same direction to collect my son... NAH - let the adventure continue - even if it meant more rain!
Stop 5 - Oyster Bay
Was hoping for a coffee at my all-time favourite restaurant in Dar, Salt. Unfortunately, they were closed for the public holiday. So instead I went next door to the Black Tomato... and continued to read.As I sat there the rain continued. And got harder.
Stop 6 - driving home
Just plain everyday driving in Dar es Salaam can be an adventure in itself. Today was no different. Roads had started to flood due to the crazy rainfall.
The most we have seen since arriving last July. When we were almost home we hit DEEP water.
Stop 7 - the end of the adventure
Once back at home, my son and friends had a ball playing on the flooded field! Soooo much fun!
After the boys had finished, I noticed dozens of dragonflies skimming on the water. Then crows flocked in! Amazing to see so much nature so close by. Such a different world to the one we were in before, Hong Kong. Great to sit in my new chair, feel the breeze, and watch the world happen.
All in all, a great microadventure - it definitely ticked most of the boxes!
Short? Yes.Simple? Yes.
Local? Yes.
Cheap? Kinda (if I hadn't bought the chairs and table... but could have been worse - art!)
Fun? YES.
Exciting? Not overly.
Challenging? Not really, apart from driving through the flood!
Refreshing? Absolutely. I adore rain. Must be the Brit in me.
Rewarding? You betcha!
Can't wait until the next one...
Full photo album from the day here.












Sounds like a great day. I have a slightly further afield but doable in a weekend challenge - Bagamoyo. Just came back from a great little trip there staying in Firefly. Cool crumbly buildings and some nice food make this town an interesting trip without much hassle. A miniadventure!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting and the recommendation, Vikki! Definitely adding Bagamoyo to the list... might wait until rainy season is over...although I guess that would be half the fun - exploring in the rain!! ;)
Delete